Library: Monthly Commentary on Business and HR Issues
Something I Learned for Dealing With Toxic Leaders
Posted: 2014-03-13 By David Wexler
Other Reflections Articles
- The Invisible Hand (of HR)
- So, Who Owns Culture & Culture Shift In Organizations?
- What kind of HR Leader Are You?
- What CEOs Say About HR
- Are We Financial Illiterates?
- Are You Looking for Work?
- What Does Your Business Consider Key For Success?
- The Implications Of The Changing Physical Work Environment
- David Wexler
- The Importance Of Staying Connected
- Reinventing Recruiting
- It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas...
- Some Thoughts & Take-Aways From U.S. Conference
- Human Resources and Metrics
- For Ourselves
- Have Some CEO's Lost Their Way?
- What To Do When 1000 Search Firms Come Calling
- My Wish List For Professional HR Associations
- Are We At The Beginning Of The Next Wave Of Career Moves?
- A Review Of 2011 & Preview Of 2012
- Searching for Mr. or Ms. Good CEO
- New Budget and a chance for some refreshed thoughts
- A Darwinian Approach To HR Leadership
- HR is key in Mergers and Acquisitions
- Working Long Hours? Better Buy A Defibrillator
- Making Sure the Employee Fits The Job
- Should We Pay for Whistle-Blowing
- Some Thoughts RE: Spring Cleaning
- Are We Doing Our Jobs As HR Leaders?
- So The Recession Is Over, Now What?
Over the past year, I have had to deal with a few instances of leaders creating toxic work environments through bullying, intimidation, sexism, public criticism, negativity, and punishment of individualism of thought/initiative.
Up until now, if not outright sexual or physical harassment, I’d dealt with such situations, through counseling the employee raising the concern, with how to have a constructive dialogue with the offending manager; (if that didn’t work), having a conversation with the manager directly, (and if that didn’t work), suggesting an intervention (where HR meets with the manager’s team without the manager present and gets all concerns on the table for anonymous consideration and response by the manager in a subsequent team session facilita.....
LOG ON: Please Login / Sign In with your member access to view and comment on the rest of this post.