Library: Monthly Commentary on Business and HR Issues
Posted: 2014-04-14 By Passion vs. Emotion In Leaders
Other Reflections Articles
- The Invisible Hand (of HR)
- So, Who Owns Culture & Culture Shift In Organizations?
- What kind of HR Leader Are You?
- What CEOs Say About HR
- Are We Financial Illiterates?
- Are You Looking for Work?
- What Does Your Business Consider Key For Success?
- The Implications Of The Changing Physical Work Environment
- Something I Learned for Dealing With Toxic Leaders
- The Importance Of Staying Connected
- Reinventing Recruiting
- It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas...
- Some Thoughts & Take-Aways From U.S. Conference
- Human Resources and Metrics
- For Ourselves
- Have Some CEO's Lost Their Way?
- What To Do When 1000 Search Firms Come Calling
- My Wish List For Professional HR Associations
- Are We At The Beginning Of The Next Wave Of Career Moves?
- A Review Of 2011 & Preview Of 2012
- Searching for Mr. or Ms. Good CEO
- New Budget and a chance for some refreshed thoughts
- A Darwinian Approach To HR Leadership
- HR is key in Mergers and Acquisitions
- Working Long Hours? Better Buy A Defibrillator
- Making Sure the Employee Fits The Job
- Should We Pay for Whistle-Blowing
- Some Thoughts RE: Spring Cleaning
- Are We Doing Our Jobs As HR Leaders?
- So The Recession Is Over, Now What?
Passion in our leaders is infectious and helps to energize organizations to achieve great deeds and deal with the tough times. Passion helps to focus and engage teams and enhance group self-confidence and belief in one another.
Emotion in our leaders on the other hand can be detrimental to organizational health, damage productivity, and disengage and poison employee trust and loyalty.
Characteristics of emotion that can be harmful to organizational health include:
- CEO displays of anger openly and frequently in 1:1’s and team meetings
- CEO verbal attacks on individuals vs constructively criticizing the idea being shared
- CEO displays of hubris
- CEO displays of shutting down brain storming and problem solving that run counter to his/her th.....
LOG ON: Please Login / Sign In with your member access to view and comment on the rest of this post.